For my group's photo essay, we visited Greater Traveler's Rest Baptist Church, a megachurch in Decatur. The church's congregation comprised of more than 2,000 members and its property consisted of 5 buildings in total. Visiting Greater Traveler's Rest helped alter the perception I had of the South. The video below of the church's choir demonstrates exactly how large the congregation is on a normal day.
Friday, March 19
Perception of Southern culture
When I first told my friends and family I decided to go to Georgia Tech, their immediate reactions were You're going to school in the South? Before college, I had no connection to the South, and no previous exposure to the actual culture of the region. So in my mind, the South was the way it was portrayed in media - country, farmlands, non-industrialized. However, throughout the course of this course I have learned that many areas in the South are very developed and modern. After living in Atlanta for six months, my perception of Southern culture had slowly changed.
For my group's photo essay, we visited Greater Traveler's Rest Baptist Church, a megachurch in Decatur. The church's congregation comprised of more than 2,000 members and its property consisted of 5 buildings in total. Visiting Greater Traveler's Rest helped alter the perception I had of the South. The video below of the church's choir demonstrates exactly how large the congregation is on a normal day.
For my group's photo essay, we visited Greater Traveler's Rest Baptist Church, a megachurch in Decatur. The church's congregation comprised of more than 2,000 members and its property consisted of 5 buildings in total. Visiting Greater Traveler's Rest helped alter the perception I had of the South. The video below of the church's choir demonstrates exactly how large the congregation is on a normal day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment