Thursday, January 21

Southern Identity Artifact



When McDonald's first broadcasted its chicken biscuit advertisement and bombarded television viewers with this commercial, I thought to myself, Why would anyone ever eat chicken for breakfast...? That was almost three years ago. Now after being at Georgia Tech for a semester, I have come to realize the uniqueness of Southern food and how well it represents the South.

Chicken biscuits are very popular in the South and are sold at fast food chains like Chick Fil-A, Bojangles, and KFC as well as small mom and pop restaurants. Before coming to Atlanta, having such heavy foods for breakfast was unimaginable. I and most of my friends rarely even ate breakfast, and when we did, it would be at most cereal or a piece of fruit. The art of Southern food though, demonstrates the qualities of Southern culture pretty well. The reason why breakfast was never an important meal to me was because I never had time to sit down and enjoy it. However, in the South, people generally take more time and do things at a leisurely pace. This is why Southern breakfasts include a huge assortment of biscuits, gravy, grits, scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast, waffles, etc.

0 comments:

Post a Comment