Thursday, February 4

No South: Urbanization

I think the notion that southern identity is being destroyed by urbanization and turning the South into the "No South" is true to a certain extent. I have lived in metro Atlanta for seventeen of my eighteen years on this earth. Despite this fact, when most people first meet me they assume i was born and raised in New York. I think this is mostly because of the fact that my parents are both transplants from New York. The urbanization of Atlanta and other parts of the south has led to an increased incidence of this. For example, two of my fathers high school friends from a small town outside of New York City live within 10 miles of us today(completely coincidentally). Also, if you attend Atlanta sporting events like I do(season tickets for the Falcons) you will notice how attendence swells when popular teams from other regions come to town(Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Yankees, etc.) This fact that Atlanta is a very diverse place filled with many non-southerners is a major reason why i do not have a very good grip on southern identity even though i grew up in the south. Therefore, because I have seen this in Atlanta, i agree with the Author of Teresas article somewhat because i can't speak for the rest of the south.

0 comments:

Post a Comment